Saturday, November 21, 2009

Tips and Hints!!

1. There are many types of transformations. What helped me remember was always having the parent graph in the back of my head. For example, the graph f(x)= sin (x-2) is gonna be similar to the parent graph f(x)= sin x. In the case of f(x)= sin (x-2) however, the graph is shifted 2 units to the RIGHT because you are subtracting something from the input. If the function was f(x)= sin (x+2) on the other hand, the graph would be shifted to the LEFT 2 units.

When you have a number as the coefficient of x, such as f(x)= sin 2x, the "tempo" of the graph is doubled.

2. How I remembered all the facts from trig. is that i simply re-write my notes. For some reason it seems to help me memorize some stuff I would have otherwise forgot. Another thing I did to memorize facts from trig. was to practice problems on my own with out the help of anyone, unless I completely didn't understand it.

3. Something that confuses me about trig. are things my teacher didn't get to teach us, like finding an arc length.

2 comments:

  1. OH! The shifting! Yeah, that's a good way to remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh. arc lengths. =) You can basically think of it as a fraction of the circumference of the circle (2pi*r)

    I love your studying strategy 2 btw.

    ReplyDelete